I just wanted to toss a couple of game notes out there before this afternoon’s season opener in Providence at Alumni Hall against the Fairfield Stags. I’m just pumped to have college basketball back as I assume everyone else is as well.
- This is the 94th men’s basketball season for the Providence Friars.
- The Friars are 33-5 all-time vs. Fairfield University.
- The Friars are 17-2 all-time vs. Fairfield at Home.
- The Friars are 9-0 all-time vs. Fairfield playing in Alumni Hall.
- This is the first regular season game (full game) to be played at Alumni Hall since November 10, 2017. PC beat Houston Baptist 84-55 in that contest.
- The Friars last played Fairfield on November 29, 2013 at The Dunk. Providence won that game 78-69.
All 5 Providence starters scored in double-figures for that game, with Bryce Cotton leading the way.
Bryce Cotton: 24 points including 18-19 (!) from the line, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, as well as this acrobatic buzzer beater going into halftime
Tyler Harris: 16 points on 4-5 from the field & a perfect 8-8 from the line
Kadeem Batts: 13 points & 8 rebounds
LeDontae Henton: 12 points, 7 rebounds, 5 steals, & 2 blocks
Josh Fortune: 10 points, 5 rebounds, & 2 steals
- Coach Ed Cooley is 2-0 all-time vs. his former school as the coach of the Friars.
- The Friars are 82-11 (.882) all-time in season openers.
- The Friars are 85-8 (.914) all-time in home openers.
- The Friars are 16-2 all-time in season openers at Alumni Hall.
Let’s start this season of right. GO FRIARS!!!