I was actually planning on making a family vacation out of Providence’s inclusion in the Maui Invitational this year but COVID has some other ideas unfortunately. Both teams started the season receiving votes to be in the Top-25 but neither has made their way in yet. The winner of the matchup should most likely find themselves included but we shall see who will be the one to come out on top of the pretty even matchup.
The two teams are pretty even but here are the betting odds for those of you who may be interested.
|Moneyline||-124 / +106|
- The Friars are 0-1 all-time vs. Indiana University.
- In the sole game between the two teams, Indiana defeated the Friars, 97-79, in the NCAA Tournament in 1973. The two teams met in the third place game of the tourney.
- This will be the Friars third time participating in the Maui Invitational. Providence won the tournament in 1984, defeating Virginia in the Championship and also participated in 1991, defeating Lamar, but losing to host school Chaminade and Minnesota.
- The Maui Invitational marks the Friars’ 74th in-season tournament appearance.
- Providence has won 16 in-season tournament championships and have been runner-up 14 times.
- The game will be played in Asheville, North Carolina rather than Maui due to the pandemic.
It is seriously so depressing to come across photos like this…
Providence Friar Emmitt Holt started his career with the Hoosiers before becoming the heart & soul of so many Providence teams.
Former Friar Ryan Fazekas, who eventually transferred to local Valparaiso, is originally from Chesterton, Indiana and attended Marquette Catholic High School.
If Fazekas, who was a prominent starter in his Freshman year at Providence, had never come down with mono, I can all but guarantee that he would have been a four-year stud at PC.
Delray Brooks was the Co-Indiana Mr. Basketball and a member of the McDonald’s All-American Team. However, frustrated with his lack of playing time at Indiana University after two seasons, Brooks chose to attend PC under Coach Rick Pitino and was a member of the 1987 Final Four team. Brooks and Billy Donovan formed the dynamic backcourt of the legendary Friars squad.