This year’s upcoming Wooden Legacy tournament bracket has finally dropped and we get to see when and who Providence will be facing off against during the Thanksgiving weekend in Anaheim, California.
See ya in Anaheim on November 28, @LBSUhoops!#GoFriars pic.twitter.com/nZdQUDq0w1
— PC Men’s Basketball (@PCFriarsmbb) July 11, 2019
Each one of the “major” teams (PC, Wake, UCF, and Arizona) will be kicking off their tournament hopes against a “mid-major” team.
Providence plays Long Beach State (the host school) in their first game of the tournament on Thanksgiving at 11 AM. I’m crossing my fingers that my family wants to have actual Thanksgiving at like 2 PM so I can fully focus on the game before getting to enjoy an unhealthy amount of food. It would be a nice little pre-game though. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
The winner and loser of the matchup take on the winner and loser of the Wake Forest and College of Charleston game.
Long Beach State was 15-19 last season, going 8-8 in the Big West Conference. The game that the Friars want to get, is a championship game against Arizona. ‘Zona is being listed as a Top 25 team in most of the pre-season polls that I’ve seen so far, so if the Friars were able to face off against the Wildcats, that will pay dividends come NCAA Tourney time.
Just a sidenote, Seton Hall won this tournament last year. Go Big East.
Another “fun” fact, The Wooden Legacy was formed in June 2013 when the John R. Wooden Classic was merged with the Anaheim Classic.
Here is a breakdown of the TV schedule and matchups.
Thursday, November 28
- Game 1 – Providence vs. Long Beach State, 11 a.m., ESPNU
- Game 2 – Wake Forest vs. College of Charleston, 1:30 p.m. ESPNews
- Game 3 – UCF vs. Penn, 5:30 p.m., ESPNU
- Game 4 – Pepperdine vs. Arizona, 8 p.m., ESPN2
Friday, November 29
- Game 5 – Providence/Long Beach State winner vs. Wake Forest/College of Charleston winner, 11 a.m., ESPN2/ESPNews
- Game 6 – Providence/Long Beach State loser vs. Wake Forces/College of Charleston loser, 1 or 1:30 p.m., ESPN2/ESPNU
- Game 7 – UCF/Penn loser vs. Pepperdine/Arizona loser, 6 p.m., ESPNews
- Game 8 – UCF/Penn winner vs. Pepperdine/Arizona winner, 8:30 p.m., ESPN2
Sunday, December 1
- Game 9 – Game 6 and Game 7 winners, 10:30 a.m., 12:30 or 1 p.m., ESPN2/ESPNews
- Game 10 – Game 5 and Game 8 losers, 10:30 a.m., 12:30 or 1 p.m., ESPN2/ESPNews
- Game 11 – Game 6 and Game 7 losers, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2/ESPNU
- Game 12, Championship – Game 5 and Game 8 winners, 6 p.m., ESPN